Preparing For Storage
After choosing the right facility to fit your needs,
it is essential that you pack your belongings in storage correctly.
Here are some tips to consider for preventing damage:
- Determine whether the goods you are storing will be better protected by
placing them in boxes, totes, or other containers.
You may need to purchase specialized boxes and other materials
to protect your items during the move and while they are stowed away.
- Thoroughly clean, disinfect and dry refrigerators, freezers,
stoves and other appliances. Appliances with doors can be
stored with the door slightly open, and some can be stacked on top of
- Retard rust by wiping down all types of metal surfaces before storing.
Use a few drops of machine oil to lightly coat these items for preventing rust
and possible deterioration.
- Store clothing on hangers before folding them into cartons.
Make sure all drapes, curtains, linens and clothing items are washed
and dry, or dry cleaned to avoid attracting pests.
- Use bubble wrap and other materials when storing dishes and glassware.
Pack similar items in the same box and fill empty spaces with packing peanuts,
bubble wrap or newspaper.
- Stack lightweight chairs “seat to seat”, but avoid stacking other types of
furniture on top of each other. Cover all upholstery with light cotton dust
- Holiday decorations can be stored in their original cartons.
Wrap glass ornaments and other delicate items in bubble wrap or newspaper
before storing in boxes or totes.
- CDs, tapes, records and other music items can be stored in boxes or airtight
cartons to prevent damage.
- Cover computer screens and large television screens with dust covers
and wrap in bubble wrap if you are storing these items next to furniture
and other equipment.
- Pack all books, files, and documents flat, and use bubble wrap or newspaper
to fill any empty spaces in the boxes or totes.
- Disassemble furniture and place pieces on a corrugated cardboard mat or
plastic sheet before placing them on a pallet.
- Wrap lamp bases in padding and store the lamp shade and base separately.
- Be sure to clean and dry all electrical equipment before storing.